This position is fully accountable for the planning, development, coordination, execution, and schedule performance of engineering projects related to after-market parts and service and capital equipment sales. These projects may be in the areas of quote support, order fulfillment, and product improvement, as well as documentation / certification processes and procedures. This position will manage major projects, including directing work of others, and instruct others managing smaller projects. Additionally, this position provides technical assistance to the Company's product lines to maintain and improve marketing position, growth, and financial goals
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Management:
- Manage projects of varying size from receipt of order through design, procurement, fabrication testing, shipment, installation, and start-up.
- Coordinate the effort and contributions of subordinate engineers and staff, delegating and assigning responsibilities to obtain economic and timely results.
- Interface with customers to design equipment and execute projects managing consideration of customer needs, internal/external production capabilities, financial targets, and available resources. This involves maximizing use of existing designs, and efficiently developing new designs through detailed calculations, design software, and collaboration with others
- Perform liaison work involved by contacting other departments (Purchasing, Manufacturing, Sales, etc.) as well as outside vendors, to obtain services or pertinent information relative to functional needs.
- Based on customer requirements, company strategy, and direction of engineering management, determine make versus buy decision for various items of a project.
- Product Design:
- Prepare drawings and 3D models of various parts or products and produce general assembly drawings and sub-assembly drawings using Autodesk software products, incorporating a detailed understanding of manufacturing processes into designs. This position also assists in translating designs into structured requirements within the company MRP system.
- Accept and manage product development projects. o Understand and translate effectively into design parameters manufacturing process and capacity constraints associated with current sources for production.
- Technical Sales and Customer Service Support
- Directly support and engage in generating quotes for parts, service, and capital equipment by identifying requirements and providing summaries of costs and lead time. This work involves technical bid package evaluation, generating technical responses, accumulating documentation, gathering cost information, and finalizing formal packages. Additionally, this involves reviewing customer needs and applications and identifying available solutions.
- Accept requests from customers to troubleshoot technical issues with products and develop solutions with customers in an efficient and professional manner.
- Support testing activities at the company test center when necessary.
- Continuously seek to build understanding of products and industries and convert those into standards, training, and sales support literature.
- Support strategic company initiatives in areas such as Lean as requested.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Marginal duties include the following:
- Occasional travel to alternate company and vendor sites when required for training and oversight.
- Occasional travel to customer sites to provide support of equipment start-up, internal and external training, and direct sales support.
- Attend trade shows, exhibitions, and other possible functions as required.
Bachelor's degree (B.S.) or equivalent from a college or university in Engineering, preferably Mechanical. Associates Degree with significant relevant experience is also acceptable. 4 to 12 years of broad engineering experience including product design, manufacturing methodology, tooling, laboratory, etc. is typical for this position.
Language Skills: Reading/writing/speaking fluency in the English language is required. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Understanding of complex algebraic equations and calculus is a plus but not a requirement.
Reasoning Ability: Plan and perform a wide variety of duties requiring general knowledge of company policies and procedures applicable within area of responsibilities and including their application to cases not previously covered. Requires considerable judgment to work independently toward general results, devising methods, modifying, or adapting standard procedures to meet different conditions, making decisions based on precedent and company policies
Other Skills and Abilities •
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to frequency distributions, reliability and validity of tests, normal curve, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, chi-square application and sampling theory and factor analysis
- Ability to use personal computer and related software including Autodesk products
- Must possess a valid driver's license in state of residence and be insurable under company's motor vehicle insurance policy.