This position is responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of rail cars and components.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Inspect car components for compliance with FRA, Association of American Railroads (AAR) and TRRA standards
- Identify or analyze defective components and indicate the necessary corrective action
- Inspect the securement of lading in open top or flat cars for compliance with AAR rules and measure high/wide loads to ensure railway line clearance
- Inspect and salvage parts from dismantled and/or scrapped cars
- Inspect and apply end-of-train device and perform airbrake tests
- Clean, lubricate and maintain tie-down devices and other special equipment on railroad cars
- Weld and paint cars, locomotives and components.
- Cut metal, sandblast, replace doors and general car construction
- Remove and replace couplers, draft gears and yokes
- Inspect, replace and/or repair gaskets, air hose, train line, bulkhead and other interior load restraining equipment, steel sections such as side sheets, crossbearers, crossties and underframing
- Build and/or repair components such as freight doors, wooden floors or interior walls
- Fabricate large jigs and fixtures and use them to assemble parts on car
- Straighten or fabricate, then replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, brackets, steps and patching components
- Operate light and heavy cranes, fork lifts, and other car moving shop equipment
- Operate various vehicles to the job site
- Operation of acetylene torches, non-power hand held tools, power hand-held tools and electric and gas welding equipment and other tools/equipment as needed.
- Rerail cars and locomotives by using rerailing equipment and perform other work associated with wreck service on the railroad
- Obtain information from computer regarding car characteristics, destination, lading, and repair records and/or to file data such as repair information, bad orders and car releases
- Comply with company and federal safety rules, policies and procedures to include wearing required safety equipment, responding to safety concerns and taking appropriate action.
- Complete annual training and pass safety and Carmen work rules examination. Must past required welding qualification test.
- High School diploma /GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Mechanical Experience
- One or more years of welding and fabrication experience
- Journeyman Carman
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications-both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and trouble shooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 85 pounds
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection.
- Walking on uneven surfaces
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor
Work outside in all weather conditions, on uneven surfaces, around loud noise and fumes, in confined spaces and on occasion at elevated heights.
Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work.
Entry Rate $183.57
Full Rate - $244.76
Company paid on the job training (which may require travel) provided.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement, union membership and monthly dues are required.
-Transportation Communications Union/IAM Carmen's Division
- TRRA is a drug-free company and employees will be subject to random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- Medical, prescription, vision and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 401k Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Vacations and holidays
The foregoing is meant as a general description of the essential functions of the relevant position and is not meant to be read or interpreted in a manner contrary to the existing collective bargaining agreement.
TRRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.