Our Intensive Outpatient Program is looking for YOU!
The Peer Specialist is responsible for delivery of individual/group services which support recovery from mental illness, substance abuse and physical health needs through training, role modeling and sharing of personal experiences.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate fully as a member of the treatment team
- Assertively outreach and engage current persons served including those with co-occurring issues into agency treatment services
- Teach clients self-advocacy skills
- Provide services and assist co-workers, as assigned, in developing and supervising activities that addresses the needs of persons served as well as conducting regularly scheduled personal enrichment/health and wellness, social skills building, therapy, educational/vocational and recreational/ leisure time activity groups in the community.
- Link clients to other external sources of help, when needed
- Understand and utilize stages of recovery concepts and what helps the person served at each stage
- Complete assigned case records and report service activities accurately, comprehensively, and within required standards outlined per agency guidelines
- Provide support beyond the normal 40 hours depending on the needs of the team, and caseload as appropriate and approved by supervisor
- Complete required training hours as outlined by employee handbook, and maintain any licensure requirements if needed and provide timely documentation to HR Office
- Formulate a professional development plan yearly to acquire skills needed to be successful in job
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Former or present consumer of mental health services or a consumer of mental health and substance abuse services
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Willingness to complete State of Missouri's Department of Mental Health approved training program and standard agency trainings
- Must possess a Valid Driver's License
- Willingness to obtain a Class E Driver's License within 30 days of hire required
- Must have current automobile insurance
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
- Flexible and self-starter; able to multi-task
- Professional qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to H.W. KIA Therapeutic Academy and Annie Malone Children and Family Service Center's mission
Able to stand, bend, kneel, lift (20-30 pounds), navigate steps or use appropriate accommodations, drive and be able to sit for hours at a time.
The Peer Support Specialist must be able to spend extended periods of time sitting, standing, walking for extended periods of time as well as operating a computer. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate effectively. The physical requirements of this job include sitting standing, walking; lifting up to 100 lbs, pulling and/or pushing on occasion.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties the Peer Support Specialist will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
Annie Malone Children and Family Service Center provides equal employment and social service opportunity to all regardless of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, disability, veteran status, or national origin.