Coordinate and implement Engineering changes, Process Improvement and New Product introduction on HVAC solutions. Work together with Manufacturing, Engineering, Sourcing, and Customer Service to increase Quality and Productivity by reducing defects and eliminating bottlenecks from Order Entry, Production Release, Fabrication, Welding, Assembly and Field Installation. Manage NPD projects & facilitate execution of projects that require additional support due to complexity, potential risks, or overall scale.
GOAL OF POSITION
Expand and standardize flow of information and documentation between engineering and manufacturing. Manage and support NPD and other high-impact projects to improve production efficiency, quality, product features, and overall product margin.
Work as the interface between Manufacturing and Engineering to drive and implement improvements to AHU / ARU product design as it pertains to production efficiency and overall cost of goods sold. Facilitate continuous feedback between Manufacturing / Engineering / Sourcing to ensure accurate BOM / labor estimates and documentation of design improvements.
FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Function as primary focal point on engineering and technical issues.
- Assist Engineering groups as per workload.
- Actively manage New Product Development (NPD) projects from conducting feasibility analysis through prototyping and production implementation. Participate and attend all company NPD meetings.
- Manage active NPD projects by creating/maintaining detailed project plans using Smartsheet project management software. Ensure projects meet timeline and milestones.
- Liaise with Production to ensure released AHU or ARU systems have adequate BOMs and routing.
- Coordinate activities to evaluate and resolve engineering-related production problems.
- Review engineering specifications, orders, and related information to maintain current knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, and activities.
- Assist Sales and Design Engineering with answering customer controls or electrical questions, ensuring accuracy of scope and associated BOM / pricing.
- Participate in customer service meetings and perform multi-background Root Cause Analyses in order to quickly solve the issues and eliminate future problems through implementing improved manufacturing, design and quoting practices. Report and document all finding and look for trends and training possibilities.
- Interpret engineering drawings and facilitate correction of errors on drawings and documents identified during manufacturing operations.
- Examine, measure, inspect, or test deficiencies for conformance to engineering design drawings. Evaluate findings to formulate corrective action plan and coordinate implementation of plan.
- Maintain records or oversee recording of information by others to ensure engineering drawings and documents are current and that engineering-related production problems and resolutions are documented.
- Apply common HVAC unit components in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations, design standards, as well as industry standards.
- Assist with development of submittals for all divisions.
- Coordinate project schedules with sales, control/electrical engineering, detailing and production
- Actively utilize company software & IT infrastructure to maintain project documentation and facilitate coordination with other company functions
- Project Management: Schedule, coordinate and participate in kick-off meeting for major projects after Order. Observe and work with production during manufacturing of custom units to ensure efficient manufacturing work process and report any labor shortfalls or overages for the purposes of correcting pricing.
- Maintain vendor diversity in order to avoid single point failure with a goal of 70%/20%/10% per annual year.
- Build relationships with existing and alternate vendors for key components and systems and maintain accurate and current documentation on product offerings and pricing
- Evaluate and test the performance and reliability of key components and systems as deemed necessary.
- Communicate with Management when vendor, material or labor rates changed so as to maintain the integrity of costing program.
- Review fabrication drawings for conformance with Record Submittal
- Assist Sales Engineering in developing and pricing non-standard applications.
- Support Customer Service activities related to parts order, warranty parts, etc.
- Develop and maintain "positive productive" relationships with Factory Representatives, Engineers, Vendors and other accounts and contacts.
- Protect the Company in day-to-day duties while maintaining great relationships with customers of all types including our internal team members.
- Assist with execution of annual engineering goals for this division.
- Review personally assigned goals with Manager
- Desire and ability to work in a Team Environment with occasional requests to function in other job roles without issue. Cross training in other areas of the company is essential to company's success and the Application Engineers Growth.
- Take on additional project responsibilities depending upon the needs of The Company.
- B.S. in Engineering Field
- 5+ years experience in the Manufacturing industry
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess a strong working knowledge of custom build and lean manufacturing – process flow, equipment and line layout, ergonomics, etc.
- Detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes across departments
- Project Planning / Project Management
- Working knowledge of 2D / 3D design software (AutoCAD and Solid Edge preferred)
- Knowledge of quality at the source and design for manufacturing/assembly techniques
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.