Delta Dental of Missouri is seeking a Senior Accounting Analyst. The Senior Accounting Analyst position involves all aspects of the accounting and finance functions for accounts payable, broker commissions, sales commissions, fixed assets, premium taxes, sales taxes and all other liabilities. Provides back-up support for the cash receipts processing functions of Delta Dental of Missouri and its subsidiaries. This role acts as the department subject matter expert for accounting, financial, enterprise, and other decision management systems.
These functions include developing and generating the applicable reporting pertinent to these accounting and finance functions.
The Senior Accounting Analyst will be assigned specific duties throughout the year. The essential functions of this position will consist of the following duties:
• Financial Reporting - Maintains orderly documentation of all financial transactions to assist with audit compliance.
• Record Revenue and Claims in the General Ledger System - Prepare or review revenue and claims data from data systems, reconcile to cash postings and bank accounts and prepare necessary journal entries to appropriately record and/or reclassify revenue and claims in the general ledger system.
• Claims Reserves - Review and analyze actuarial data to determine the appropriate level of reserves needed for incurred but not reported claims.
• Claims Reconciliation - Reconcile claims processed monthly to claims system.
• Cash Reconciliations - Reconcile select cash accounts monthly.
• Broker Process - Work with Underwriting to update broker information in the company's subsidiary systems and prepare monthly broker commission payments. Mail broker checks and upload broker file to bank (currently Midwest Bank Centre (MWB).
• Sales Incentive Data - Maintain salesperson incentive data within company's subsidiary systems and prepare monthly and quarterly retention and incentive payments.
• Accounts Payable (AP) - Processes weekly AP run. Review invoices and monthly expense reports, ensuring proper documentation and approvals. Assign account coding to invoices to ensure G/L account integrity. Mail AP checks and upload AP file to applicable bank (varies by company).
• AP Files - Maintain vendor payable file and perform other departmental related filing.
• Stop Pay Process - Manage stop-pay process. Requires working with customer service, claims, and other internal departments, as well as the applicable bank depending on the type of check impacted.
• General Ledger Reconciliations - Reconcile select general ledger balance sheet accounts monthly.
• Month-End Process - Summarize monthly transactions and activities in order to prepare general ledger entries. Activities may include investments, fixed assets, cash, posting of inter-company and other standard transactions. Download all necessary data/bank statements from banks each month, as assigned.
• Cash Transfers - Periodically transfer cash within company bank accounts and execute wire payments.
• Escheat Process - Manages the escheat process including the external vendor relationship; maintain escheat records, prepare letters for company clients and prepare annual filings for applicable states.
• 1099 Process - Identify and extract payment information from the AP system required for 1099's and pass to IT for preparation of related 1099's. Work with the COO and CIO to ensure adequate and timely 1099 reporting.
• Annual Budget Process - Provide assistance as needed to the Financial Planning and Analysis team.
• Annual Audits - Assist external financial auditors with annual audits.
• Statutory Reporting - Assist in preparation of Statutory Reports as required by the Department of Insurance.
• Confidential Data - Accounting Analysts will be working with confidential data (including strategic plans, business and new product development, sensitive contract and financial data, employee data, etc.) and strict confidentiality will be required.
• Communications - Manage communications with various Departments of Insurance in the states that the entities are licensed. The Senior Accounting Analyst will also communicate with officers, managers and staff personnel on a daily basis. In addition, this position will communicate with external auditors, board members, investment managers, financial institutions and vendors as required.
• Self-Directed - This position will require minimal supervision. The Senior Accounting Analyst will work in an environment in which duties and responsibilities are assigned and will be empowered to prioritize and complete these duties. This position will be expected to determine the methods to carry out these duties.
• Supervision - This position will provide supervision and direction for Accounting Assistant in absence of the Financial Accounting Supervisor. Primary reference for general ledger training and questions for finance staff of related entities.
• The Senior Accounting Analyst is required to maintain daily professional communication with the Financial Accounting Supervisor and Corporate Controller to ensure all corporate policies and procedures are being maintained and that all assets of the company are protected.
• Backup Financial Systems - Acts as a back up to the subject matter expert and liaison to other internal departments for financial systems as well as other decision-making management systems maintained by other departments integral to finance and accounting. Systems include, but are not limited to Group Rating System, ABID (group and claims reporting system), Skygen Enterprise System, DocLink, and Sage ERP500 general ledger and accounts payable modules.
• Backup to Accounting Assistant - Serves as back-up to Accounting Assistant (Cash Receipts related duties, Cash Application and Wire Transfers), as needed.
• Other Duties - May include real estate, personal property, premium, sales and use tax reporting and payment. Perform other work related duties as assigned.
• Proven subscription to the company's core values of integrity, trust and respect, innovation, stewardship, excellence and celebration.
Education, Skills, Personal Attributes, and Experience Required
• Bachelor's degree in accounting is required for this position.
• CPA strongly preferred
• Four to six years of experience in GAAP accounting required.
• Three to five years of experience in statutory accounting preferred.
• Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Problem-solving skills.
• Effective communication skills, both written and verbal. Frequent communication required with internal and external customers.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, 10-key calculator by touch, general ledger and fixed asset software.
• Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills required.
• General office working conditions which may require sitting for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work remotely when necessary
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities require the ability to focus distant and near objects clearly. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and arms to handle, feel and reach as well as operate a personal computer.